[IAEP] Reality is a crutch (was Re: Physics - Lesson plans ideas?)

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 08:37:51 EDT 2009

None of the numbers are "real world" - they are human-made representations
of either something in the real world, or something else in some culture.
Bridges between cultures and real world are built both ways. Imaginary
numbers used to be purely cultural for a while, until bridges Cherlin
mentions allowed people to see them as models of something in physical
reality. Same goes for quaternions and many exotic geometries.

Relationships with reality is one of the main distinctions between most
mathematical and most scientific frameworks and methodologies, which is a
huge topic.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
http://www.naturalmath.com

Make math your own, to make your own math.