[IAEP] [SLOBS] [Fwd: Follow-Up on: " looking for two groups of volunteers"]

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Sun Aug 9 01:13:19 EDT 2009

Hi all,

   >> Walter has posted this several weeks ago about founding such a
   >> committee, for which I volunteered. So here's the thing. Has
   >> SLOBs given this committee the power to make a decision? If it
   >> has, I'd like to get confirmation that SLOBs is going to back up
   >> the decisions made by this committee.

   > 1. Set a date for the election.  [..]

Sebastian was volunteering for the trademark committee rather than the
election committee, I think, but David's method is a fine one.  SLOBS
must not overrule a committee unless something that SLOBS is directly
responsible for (such as finances) is affected.

For the trademark committee, one workflow that I'd personally be happy
with is:

* the trademark committee will set the trademark policy, and their
  policy will be backed up by SLOBS as the official policy.

* separately, we'd need to decide whether we actually want to (and can
  afford to) spend the money to perform yearly trademark registration.
  It'd be good to get advice on the consensus for that from the
  trademark committee, but the purchase sounds like something that
  SLOBS should keep the ability to make a final decision on.  (Since
  it depends upon how much money's in the bank account at the time,
  and what the *other* committees think we ought to spend it on.  :)

How does that sound?

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>