[IAEP] modifying sugar tutorial: different paths for SoaS

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Aug 8 06:02:22 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 11:55, Bill Kerr<billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks Tomeu (for the linux pointers too)
> sadly I cannot complete the sugar modification tutorial
> I keep getting messages like "liveuser is not in the sudoers file" and
> "Permission denied" for example when I try to make a backup file with cp
> SoaS is acting more like a live CD when it comes to linux commands
> Very sad - my students won't be able to hack the system :-(

Yeah, Fedora (and I guess other distros) doesn't ship with sudo
activated by default :(

But you should be able to do the same by using su instead of sudo:

su -c 'cp somefile /etc/.'

Or "su -" to get into a root shell.

I have heard that latest experimental SoaS images have sudo installed
by default, so in the next release sudo will work fine in SoaS as
well.

Regards,

Tomeu