[IAEP] feedback from school GPA/GAP message 6

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 7 20:30:20 EDT 2009

Dennis Daniels wrote:
> I also wanted to note that in the report Speak broke... well, it
> totally crashed my system today and hard. Fedora11 stopped responding
> at all after it knee-jerked back to Fedora log in. Serious crash. Not
> seen anything like that on a unix machine in a long time. Got some
> video of it here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IV_MFB8gb8

This video strongly suggests to me that you have broken hardware, and that
Sugar is never going to work on it, because it's broken.

I appreciate that you've run tests on this hardware, and maybe even other
operating systems... but given this video, I can hardly believe that it is
functioning properly.  Sometimes hardware breaks in a way that is
particularly sensitive to specific software (such as intensive use of the
sound card or graphics card).  I don't think this is a hardware
compatibility issue, because your dmesg [1] shows a common Via C7-M chip
with Chrome9 graphics.  OLPC has been testing Fedora and Sugar on C7-M
boards without the issues you've observed.

--Ben

[1] http://pastebin.be/20234