[IAEP] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Education_Team#Commentary

Dennis Daniels dennisgdaniels at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 15:50:18 EDT 2009

It was suggested that I post a link to my commentary about Sugar and
education to this list.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Education_Team#Commentary

A quick poll before I go on... how many actively participating
teachers on this list or the wiki? From what countries?
--------
The views expressed are my own and a byproduct of my energies to try
and get teachers to incorporate computers into their curriculum for
over four years. I built an LTSP lab sometime ago for my English
class(I'm a certified English teacher in California.)

That lab was an eye-opener for me.Though admins and parents and
students loved what was happening in the class, the improved scores,
the better writing, higher order thinking etc...  _Not a single
teacher accepted my offer_ at my school, or any other!, to help them
get their own computer lab running.  Admins couldn't convince OR force
teachers to take what was free e.g. my offer to help build the LTSP
labs.

Sugar will get very little traction in schools without a seriously
hard look at your biggest obstacle/opponent: the teachers.

I need help in getting Sugar to be cool for kids and the easiest way
_in my experience_ is to make it easy for kids to show off... make
screencasting a FUNCTIONING and EASY to USE tool that can be launched
from every activity.

Please, if you're going to flame back, try to attack the argument (and
parts of it may be flawed) and not me.

thanks,
Dennis