[IAEP] Cloning USB sticks (was: Re: Could a KS file be used in the Fedora11 net install to customize the clone process?)

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Tue Aug 4 06:03:10 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 02:41:35AM -0700, Thomas C Gilliard wrote:

[copying USB stick via dd]
> Sucessfully copies the USB stick! this is an exact copy and boot and
> runs well.
Just a word of caution: Because it's an exact copy, it will duplicate
your "identity" as well if you've ever logged in to Sugar and entered
your name before on the source USB stick. You will need to remove some
files in ~/.sugar in order for collaboration to work properly in that
case.

> (The USB's are slightly different in size sometimes even though same
> size and manufacturer)
That's quite normal unfortunately. If you're trying to replicate sticks
by raw device copy (i.e. using dd), I recommend either using the
smallest of your sticks as the "master" one (easy, but you need to know
the exact size of all your sticks in advance) or leaving enough "free"
space during partitioning and copying only the allocated part with dd
(tricky).

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/