[IAEP] [Grassroots-l] Planning for Sugar Camp Paris

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 08:05:56 EDT 2009

Hi David,

> I was extremely disappointed in our last two SugarCamps.  Rather then
> coming together as a community with shared goals, I got the feeling
> that we were just a bunch of people gathered in a room; each trying to
> push their own agenda.  The turning point for me was when a scheduled
> speaker said, 'God Damn It.  This is my hour and now YOU have to
> listen to ME.'

I think we are in violent agreement here.  Please go back and reread your
response to my suggestion that we use protocols and I'll walk you through my
thinking.

First, I think its extraordinarily important that we appreciate what an
effective organization we are.  Especially in our distance communications.
David really covers that well in his response to my protocols post.  We are
doing a lot of things right and getting good results. Releases, publicity
and much positive interest and increasing attention.

I share David's disappointment with the quality of our in person meetings.
We are not unique in this.  I am in a class that studies School Reform this
semester and the teacher spends huge amounts of time observing in schools.
He says that 90% of teacher "shared planning time" and "team" meetings are
like watching paint dry.  Its hard to get people who are used to working
alone to effectively collaborate in face-to-face groups. It doesn't just
happen on its own.  However, when it does happen the results and the
coefficient on the effects on learning are quite large.

So schools are working on this problem with what they call "Protocols". I'm
not a huge fan of the name.  But I am a huge fan of accepting the culture
and language of our users and finding what in their existing culture can
help us help them use Sugar better.  We trying to go into schools and tell
them to use Sugar change to  constructivism, don't do things the way you
have been doing them.  That is not a huge recipe for long term success.  I'd
like to try whenever possible for us to also be learning from schools.

In this case both Sugar Labs and Schools have a shared problem.  We know our
face-to-face group planning time is vital, but its expensive and we are
dissatisfied with the results.

Caroline