[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 13, Issue 88

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Wed Apr 29 10:08:39 EDT 2009

> From: Christoph Derndorfer <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at>

> Mmm, I still would argue that now in some cases - especially when
> relevant changes end up being quite significant - it might be easier to
> basically start from scratch rather than adapting and modifying an
> existing activity.
>
> I think (and I'm basically just repeating what others have said
> before;-) what's best in the long-run is to have a common framework for
> educational activities or at least sub-categories of such activities.
> This framework should allow for basic functionalities such as tracking
> student progress, dynamically adapting exercises to a student's
> capabilities and things like the basics of Maths exercises or a typing
> tutor to be taken care of. These basic building blocks can then be
> shared across the globe while making it easier and quicker for people
> to build learning activities tailored to the specific requirements of
> their country, province or town.
>
> But I'm really preaching to the choir here so I'll just shut up and
> finish my lunch-break:-)
>
> Christoph

You're definitely right that existing set of activities lack integration
w/ Learning management systems for student tracking, adaptability to the
student level, and made up of more granular reusable components . . .
and that is exactly what I hope the Karma project will accomplish! I
have described the basic ideas on the wiki page  and the blog site

http://karmaproject.wordpress.com
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Karma

OLE Nepal started this process but the Karma project will take the great
work OLE Nepal has done and rebuild it from scratch w/ purely
open-source, reusable components. And I will be looking to you
Christroph, to help me in this endeavor while you are in Nepal this
summer ;)

of special interest may be the "Anatomy of a Karma Lesson"
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Karma:Anatomy_of_a_Karma_Lesson

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director