[IAEP] 70 minute interview with Bryan Berry on XO deployment in Nepal

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:29:35 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Martin Dengler
<martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:37:42PM +0930, Bill Kerr wrote:
>> I've transcribed a large portion of this interview on my blog:
>> http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2009/04/olpc-nepal-project-overview.html
>>
>> might be handy if you don't have 60 minutes to spare
>
> Thanks very much - 5 mins. vs. 60 mins...makes all the difference.
>
> The portion that I'll paraphrase as "content is king" (or "create the
> content and the hardware orders will come", for a longer version) made
> me re-think the ebook-concept-as-trojan-horse argument that's been
> made before: its big advantage is that it short-circuits the "lack of
> content" problem by definition: it seems popular discourse takes for
> granted that e-book readers are separate to e-books but not that
> educational laptops are separate from educational content.
>
> A killer app might be an "App Store" for books, with the ability to
> access multiple "stores".  Project Gutenberg could be a store, for
> example.  Even just Project Gutenberg support in Read would be cool
> (Apologies if this is already available and I don't know about it -
> please correct me).  Calibre's been talked about but the feature is
> "on the TODO list"[1] (though I didn't see it[2]).

I have been Sugarising FBReader for some time: see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Sayamindu/BookReader for details. There
is also a discussion list that may be of interest to many:

A nice source of ebooks is http://www.feedbooks.com/

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--