[IAEP] 70 minute interview with Bryan Berry on XO deployment in Nepal

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Tue Apr 28 12:24:32 EDT 2009

Sayamindu has ported fbreader to the XO, but it is Sugar .82 and is not yet
in SOAS or a.sl.o.  It reads epub format among others, which is to be found
on many of the free sites.  I made the following XO style library bundle of
the Newbery medal winning children's books by women authors from the UPenn
site, and it is still experimental in aslo because it needs recommendations,
but recommendations require that you have the reader.

http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4077

Yes, it is in English.  I know there is a lot of classic Spanish language
content out there that could be packaged as well, because I gathered it as a
resource for my daughter's AP Spanish Literature class a few years back.

I have a detailed lesson plan and student materials bundle for a wonderful
literacy activity using write and browse that I want to load (teacher tested
-- contributed by my daughter the teacher -- and I could make more) , but we
need a category for lesson plans so someone would know to look for it.

We're so close to being able to start loading content, but seem to get
sidetracked into discussions of better content formats and other "perfect is
the enemy of the good" topics every time.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz <
bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Martin Dengler wrote:
> > A killer app might be an "App Store" for books, with the ability to
> > access multiple "stores".  Project Gutenberg could be a store, for
> > example.  Even just Project Gutenberg support in Read would be cool
> > (Apologies if this is already available and I don't know about it -
> > please correct me).
>
> Perhaps you would like http://manybooks.net
>
> --Ben

"I don't consider him a particularly reliable source of information."

-- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, at a House Foreign Affairs Committee
meeting, on former Vice President Dick Cheney.