[IAEP] SoaS on Mac

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 13:59:05 EDT 2009

Do the sticks that are giving the /dev/root error fail on PCs also?

I have sometimes seen this error on PCs too. I have no idea what the root
cause is.

Other things to try.
Does it fail the same way if the stick is made on windows with the GUI?
Does it fail the same way if the stick is less then 2GB and you format FAT
not FAT32?

Thanks

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 23.04.2009, at 08:39, Caryl Bigenho wrote:
>
> Hello Again,
>
> Still trying to get the SoaS going on the MacBook.  This time I went back
> to trying the Stick and helper CD.  I booted to the CD first, then inserted
> the usb stick. It went through the loading of Fedora all right (like
> before), then when I chose "boot" from the menu, it went into a terminal
> mode and gave me this message:

> WARNING: Cannot fine root file system!
> Create symlink /dev/root and then exit this shell to continue the boot
> sequence
>
> bash: no job control in this shell
>
> bash-4.o#
>

> I think if I knew a little Python I could solve this.  It seems to want me
> to tell it to go boot the SoaS from the USB stick, but I don't know how to
> do it.   Can someone tell me how and what to do to go on from here? How do I
> "exit this shell"?  How do I "Create symlink/dev/root"?
>

> I tried this today.
>
> On my MacBook Pro the CD did not boot. It's detected as a blank, even
> though I burned it on the very same machine.
>
> On a MacMini the same CD booted fine. It loaded the kernel and initrd from
> USB, then I got the exact same error message Caryl got.
>
> I made the Stick in Fedora 10 using these instructions:
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Linux
>
> These instructions did not mention renaming the stick. Is it perhaps still
> needed? I remember having seen someone mention the stick had to have a
> specific name.
>
> How does it try to find the root file system?
>
> - Bert -

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com