[IAEP] SoaS on Mac

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Apr 27 13:45:48 EDT 2009

On 23.04.2009, at 08:39, Caryl Bigenho wrote:

> Hello Again,
>
> Still trying to get the SoaS going on the MacBook.  This time I went
> back to trying the Stick and helper CD.  I booted to the CD first,
> then inserted the usb stick. It went through the loading of Fedora
> all right (like before), then when I chose "boot" from the menu, it
> went into a terminal mode and gave me this message:

> WARNING: Cannot fine root file system!
> Create symlink /dev/root and then exit this shell to continue the
> boot sequence
>
> bash: no job control in this shell
>
> bash-4.o#
>

> I think if I knew a little Python I could solve this.  It seems to
> want me to tell it to go boot the SoaS from the USB stick, but I
> don't know how to do it.   Can someone tell me how and what to do to
> go on from here? How do I "exit this shell"?  How do I "Create
> symlink/dev/root"?

I tried this today.

On my MacBook Pro the CD did not boot. It's detected as a blank, even
though I burned it on the very same machine.

On a MacMini the same CD booted fine. It loaded the kernel and initrd
from USB, then I got the exact same error message Caryl got.

I made the Stick in Fedora 10 using these instructions:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Linux

These instructions did not mention renaming the stick. Is it perhaps
still needed? I remember having seen someone mention the stick had to
have a specific name.

How does it try to find the root file system?

- Bert -