[IAEP] InfoTech Report

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 26 00:27:07 EDT 2009

Hi,

The XO computer and Sugar software were a hit at the LAUSD InfoTech event at the Los Angeles Convention center. I had my  3 "Roadshow In a Box" machines, plus 2 others set up in the CUELA booth at the kind invitation of CUELA co-president John Rivera.
So many people fell in love with the XO and wanted to know how to get them.  When I explained the current situation of needing large orders they were crestfallen.  But then they brightened up when I explained the alternatives:

* Buy a machine from an online auction such as ebay.  Some parents found this an interesting option.

* Run SoaS on the computers they already have or on others they can buy easily "off the shelf." Both teachers and parents were interested in this option.

*Create a really great new idea for using the XO with students and apply for contributors machines to develop and test the idea. A large number of teachers were interested in doing this.  It will be interesting to see how many follow through.

I gave them my card which has links to the contributors program, sugar-on-a stick, and lots of other useful info about OLPC and Sugar.  I also invited them to feel free to ask me any questions they think of later by email.

I also invited the educators to sign up to receive information about a new open-source interest group that we are planning to start within the CUE (Computer Using Educators) organization in California.

So, all in all, it was a fun morning and definitely worth the 190 mile round trip.

Caryl
P.S.  My husband, Ed, is getting pretty good at helping people with the XO and the Sugar Activities when I am busy talking to other interested people!