[IAEP] IAEP Digest, Vol 13, Issue 73

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 24 13:44:33 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline, Bert, and everyone else,

About 5 minutes ago I got SoaS to run on my MacBook. :  ) I followed Bert's fine instructions again, adding one tiny detail (if Virtual Manager doesn't open, click on the little yellow folder at the right of the pull down bar...if it doesn't open, double click again).

All I tried was Speak.  It worked fine with English and Spanish.  It seems like the mouth doesn't open as wide and it talksa little faster, but maybe that is my imagination. I have to refinish a 9 drawer dresser now, so I will have to wait until eveningto play more with SoaS on the MacBook.  BTW...how do I add activities? (Greedy I guess).

I will take my MacBook, 5 XOs, and the nice SoaS stick Walter sent, to the InfoTech event tomorrow. Someone there
will probably have a PC we can use the stick on.

I have been following the discussion about the length of time schools would continue to use PowerPC Macs.In my experience schools keep machines until lots of their keys fall off or they totally die. Then if they are thrown out, some enterprising teacher will go dumpster diving and rescue them to set up a computer lab in their classroom.  I know of at least one instance of this actually happening!

So, yes, IMHO it is worth it to spend the time to get to run on the PowerPC.

Caryl

P.S. In Latin America they call USB sticks "pens."  That means SoaS there would be SoaP!