[IAEP] .zip turned into .vdi What now?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Apr 23 07:15:38 EDT 2009

On 23.04.2009, at 08:14, Caryl Bigenho wrote:

> Hello Again,
>
> Still trying to get SoaS going on my MacBook.  I downloaded the soas-
> beta-1.zip.  It took a long time (almost 2 hrs on dsl).

It's big, 350 MB.  So 2 hours would indicate a download speed of 400
kbit/sec.  Depending on what DSL speed you pay for that might well be
as fast as it goes.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/dsldigitalsubscriberline/f/dslspeed.htm

On my DSL (6000 kbit/sec) it still took 9 minutes.

>   I finally had time to look at it and try to use it and discovered
> that it no longer is a zip file. Somehow it turned into "soas-
> beta-1.vdi"
>
> Was that supposed to happen? What do I do with it now?  It is asking
> what application I want to use to open it.  The file is the same
> size as the zip file (357 MB) so it looks like the same file...just
> with a different extension.  Is there a way to change it back?

It's fine. The .zip contains a single file named .vdi so it is
uncompressed automatically. "VDI" means "Virtualbox Disk" I guess.

After downloading, run VirtualBox.
Click "New" to open the "New Virtual Machine Wizard". Click "Next".
Choose a name ("SoaS"), OS ("Linux"), Version ("Fedora"). Click "Next".
Choose the memory (256 MB is fine). Click "Next".
Choose the disk: click "Existing...". The "Virtual Media Manager"
opens. Click "Add". Find "soas-beta-1.vdi", click "Open", then
"Select", then "Next".
Click "Finish". You're done!

Now whenever you run VirtualBox, just choose "SoaS" from the list and
click "Start" to run it. Don't worry if it appears to hang after
writing something about "loading initrd0.img", it will continue
eventually.

Note that VirtualBox "captures" your mouse pointer, to "escape", press
the left Cmd key.

Have fun with SoaS on your Mac :)

- Bert -