[IAEP] OT: Networking challenges in "developing countries"

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Thu Apr 23 06:02:14 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 04:22:14PM -0700, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> They are in Cambridge. Why don't you call them? I'll ping them on
> behalf of Earth Treasury. Let me know if you find any more like them.
Thanks for your answers, Walter and Edward!
I've written an email to First Mile Solutions, waiting for their reply
now. Their web page already contained some pointers and even some
material (photos and descriptions of Sneakernet equipment) I can use.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 04:18:16PM -0700, Edward Cherlin wrote:

>> The title of the original
>> proposal (given to me) was "Disruptive Tolerant Networking for the
>> Amazonas"
>> (**).
> Sneakernet is the correct geek term. I see no point in creating yet
> more euphemisms, especially bafflegab euphemisms.
It's the original title, not mine. :)

> I can't help you with the literature, but I can help imagine a
> solution, and a social movement to get it working, with historical
> examples.
Would be interesting as well, though I also need a certain amount of
"scientific" work (i.e. referencing and quoting other papers).

>> Do you operate a proxy for intermittent internet access (like
>> wwwoffle)?
> Resumable data transfers, such as wget? Torrenting? FidoNet? It's
> still in everyday use.
I couldn't help snickering at some part of the topic presentation, since
it was all presented as brand-new. I've run a Fido node myself for
several years some time ago. :)
References to "old" solutions will be part of my talk as well, of
course.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/