[IAEP] OT: Networking challenges in "developing countries"

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:18:16 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Sorry for the slightly off-topic posting, but as some deployments might
> actually be facing these issues I thought it might be worth a try.
>
> As part of my study, I'm going to give a talk on networking challenges and
> possible solutions in "developing countries" (*).

A lot of effort has gone into finding an alternative euphemism, but
the problem is not in the words. It is in the global tolerance of
neglect, corruption, and outright repression that goes on there. These
will rapidly, probably immediately, contaminate any phrase you can
use.

> The title of the original
> proposal (given to me) was "Disruptive Tolerant Networking for the Amazonas"
> (**).

Sneakernet is the correct geek term. I see no point in creating yet
more euphemisms, especially bafflegab euphemisms. Sneakernet is at
least mildly humorous. "Bicyclenet"? "Sandalnet"? "Barefootnet"? You
can easily calculate the effective bandwidth of each.

> I'm looking for any reference (english only, though) on non-technological
> (or rather not mainly technological - social, legal, organisational,
> anything) aspects of the networking challenges (esp., but not only
> non-realtime access) and their solutions.

I can't help you with the literature, but I can help imagine a
solution, and a social movement to get it working, with historical
examples.

> Do you do data transport via USB stick from village to village?

USB or other flash device, CD...Not DVD or removable hard drive in
general. What else is there?

> Do you
> operate a proxy for intermittent internet access (like wwwoffle)?

Resumable data transfers, such as wget? Torrenting? FidoNet? It's
still in everyday use.

> Any other
> kind of high latency data transfer or communication? If so, I'd be very
> interested in hearing details about it. Tell me your story!
>

> (*) In need of a better term. It's more about areas without established /
> stable networking infrastructure.
> (**) Also known as Delay Tolerant Networking.
>
> CU Sascha
>
> --
> http://sascha.silbe.org/
> http://www.infra-silbe.de/