[IAEP] More about SoaS on a MacBook

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Wed Apr 22 17:27:08 EDT 2009

Caryl, the G4 has a powerpc processor, which executes an entirely different
binary instruction set from the Intel-based Mac and Intel PC architecture
machines.  Since SOAS in all its incarnations contains binary executables
prepared for an Intel processor, this won't execute on your G4 Mac.  (I'm
leaving aside corner cases of having some kind of hardware emulator on the
G4.)

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi Again,
>

> I downloaded http://www.sugarlabs.org/static/soas/soas-beta-1.zip.  It
> took about 1 hr 45 min on a DSL connection. I haven't opened it yet...will
> get to that later today or this evening.  But, I have a couple of questions.
>

>  Is it possible to burn this file to a disk and boot from it?  If so,
> would I unzip it first?
>

>  If not, where should I put it? How do I access it?
>

>  Is there any chance this version would run on a G4 MacPowerbook?  I have
> one on hand I could try it with (it does run OSX).
>

> I would still like to be able to run from the SoaS USB with the helper CD.
> Someone else was having problems wiht that too.  Is anyone working on a
> solution?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Caryl

"I don't consider him a particularly reliable source of information."

-- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, at a House Foreign Affairs Committee
meeting, on former Vice President Dick Cheney.