[IAEP] OT: Networking challenges in "developing countries"

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-iaep at silbe.org
Wed Apr 22 15:11:46 EDT 2009

Hi!

Sorry for the slightly off-topic posting, but as some deployments might actually be facing these issues I thought it might be worth a try.

As part of my study, I'm going to give a talk on networking challenges and possible solutions in "developing countries" (*). The title of the original proposal (given to me) was "Disruptive Tolerant Networking for the Amazonas" (**).

I'm looking for any reference (english only, though) on non-technological (or rather not mainly technological - social, legal, organisational, anything) aspects of the networking challenges (esp., but not only non-realtime access) and their solutions.

Do you do data transport via USB stick from village to village? Do you operate a proxy for intermittent internet access (like wwwoffle)? Any other kind of high latency data transfer or communication? If so, I'd be very interested in hearing details about it. Tell me your story!

(*) In need of a better term. It's more about areas without established / stable networking infrastructure.
(**) Also known as Delay Tolerant Networking.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/