[IAEP] Fwd: SoaS on a MacBook?

Dave Bauer dave.bauer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 16:24:54 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi...
> I've been trying to get the SugarLabs usb stick, Walter so kindly sent, to
> boot on my MacBook.  I can get it to recognize the stick but when I try to
> boot from it, following the instructions from Apple Tech Support, it goes
> instead into OSX.  The stick shows as a third drive on my desktop and I can
> open it and see that the files are there.  The "read me" file comes up
> blank.
>
> I think someone mentioned having to use something they may have called a
> "virtual box" to get it to boot on the Mac.  I hope someone can fill me in
> on how to do this.  I want to be able to show it at the LAUSD InfoTech event
> at the LA Convention Center this Saturday.  So, I do still have some time to
> work out the kinks.
>
> The Mac I am using is an Intel based MacBook so this should work.  I just
> need to have the instructions!

Hi, You might be able to boot using the boot helper CD.
http://people.sugarlabs.org/sdz/soas-boot.iso
Hold down 'c' when booting to boot off the CD and it should recognize the
USB stick and continue booting from there.

If that doesn't work you can try the VirtualBox instructions here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/VirtualBox

Good Luck.

Dave

> Thanks!