[IAEP] Sugar Digest 2009-04-21

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 09:45:12 EDT 2009

===Sugar Digest ===

1. Five Google Summer of Code projects have been selected for 2009. We
are excited about all five proposals; our only regret is that we were
unable to accept any more of the promising proposals we received.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the selection process—the
feedback on the proposals from the community has been especially of
great value.

To all of those who were not selected this year, we appreciate your
efforts and hope that you will be able to find time to participate in
the Sugar Labs community in some fashion this summer. We hope you'll
reapply next year.

To those of you who were selected this year, both mentors and
students, let's converge on a regular weekly meeting time in IRC to
exchange notes on progress and problems. Individual teams should, of
course, make arrangements for regular meeting times as well. In
general, let's continue to hang out on #sugar, so that the developer
community can stay abreast of what is happening.

Kudos to Jamison Quinn for organizing our GSoC efforts and seeing to
all of the details. Finally, thanks once again to Google for this
opportunity.

Student: Lucian Branescu Mihaila
Project: Webified
Mentor: Walter Bender

Student: Sascha Silbe
Project: Version support for Sugar datastore and Journal
Mentor: Jameson Quinn

Student: Felipe Lopez Toledo
Project: Karma + Activities
Mentor: Bryan Berry

Student: Vamsi Krishna Davuluri
Project: Adding Print Support to the XOs
Mentor: Andres Ambrois

Student: Benjamin Schwartz
Project: Decentralized Asynchronous Collision-free Editing with Groupthink
Mentor: Assim Deodia

2. Caroline Meeks and I spent last Saturday at the Waltham YMCA where
we exercised Sugar on a Stick with children and their parents visiting
the Y for Healthy Kids Day. (I had to leave early to meet to attend to
some sewer problems—don't ask.) All in all, it was a great day.