[IAEP] Anyone gotten a 4GB or greater USB stick to work for Sugar on a Stick?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 03:39:19 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:06 AM, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> Ahh, this maybe where some of the confusing behavior we were seeing comes
> from.  Let me repeat what I think I understand so I can see if I have it
> right.

Pretty close :-)

> FAT is the same thing as FAT16

Yes... and there's various types of FAT16.

 - there's an early FAT16 that only supports partitions up to 32MB
 - there's FAT16 supporting up to 2GB
 - there's FAT16 LBA, which I don't know the limits for, but your
usual 4/8GB flash disks support.

> FAT is only an option for USB sticks 2 GB or less. You can only format a USB
> stick larger then 2 GB as FAT32.

Either FAT32 or FAT16 LBA.

> Some computers will not boot from a FAT32 formatted stick but some will.
> Thus if you put SoaS onto a 4 GB USB it will fail on some computers and not
> others.

Exactly.

> A partition allows you to have one part of the USB formatted differently
> then another part.

That's one option involving more work. FAT16LBA is the other option,
and seems to work.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions