[IAEP] Recommend boot-helper CD as the first experience with Sugar on a Stick rather then setting the BIOS

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Thu Apr 16 13:52:21 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 12:33 -0400, Caroline Meeks wrote:

>         In my opinion, the simpler the feedback, the wider the
>         cross-section
>         of users will be from a technically-adept point of view. By
>         that I
>         mean we will garner feedback (valuable I think) from non
>         computer
>         whizzes. I'm more worried about them. Simplicity of use is I
>         think
>         vital to SoaS success.
>
>         I fear that many users will encounter difficulties 1) loading
>         a USB
>         stick, 2) setting BIOS to boot from it.
>

> As for #2, I've tried to rearrange the instructions so that a naive
> user is encouraged to create a boot-helper CD and use that and the USB
> for the first experience as I think that will have a much better first
> time success rate.  It would be great if people looked over what I've
> done and improve on it.

We could also leverage the Smart Boot Loader, which we can install on
the local machine to put it as an entry in the boot menu. When clicked,
it would load up the kernel from the USB key and doesn't require a CD.
I'll write up instructions/make the binary in a bit.

--
Luke Faraone
<http://luke.faraone.cc>