[IAEP] Help Wanted: Keeper of the Hardware List

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Apr 16 12:25:03 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 06:08:45PM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
> As far as I know we don't have a method yet for testing if a newly
> loaded stick on a computer will be potentially bootable or not on
> another :-(

You've said this a few times, and I just want to point out one reason
why we don't have it yet is that it's an intractable problem.  It
can't be done perfectly.  It can't even be feasibly done by a large,
dedicated organisation willing to pay lots of money to do this.
That's why large organisations solve this problem by limiting the
hardware they "support", and testing just on that (etc. etc. of course
we all know this).

Of course we can improve the situation by telling "upstream" what
hardware doesn't work. I think that's what we're trying to do here.

> Sean

Martin