[IAEP] How to load onto Ubuntu netbook

Kathy Pusztavari kathy at kathyandcalvin.com
Mon Apr 13 10:55:14 EDT 2009

Hi,

I got the beta version to work on my PC (Dell Dimension 9200).  Works great
(and super fast) but I have a couple of newbie questions:

1.  If I want to add an activity (Turtle Typing), is that possible?

2. I noticed that when looking at the thumb drive you don't see the actual
directory structure.  Does it set up a virtual directory structure upon
booting?

3. Once booted, can I simply copy over the Turtle Typing directory structure
into the virtual area?  I suspect this would need to be done each time it is
booted but I'm just wondering.  I can see another thumb drives with the
typing turles files on it...

Now onto another question.  Stop me if I'm not asking in the right place.

I tried to load onto a Dell Inspiron 910 netbook that came loaded with
Ubuntu.  I created the 2 gig thumbdrive SoaS beta on an XP machine.  When I
used the Fedora Live USB Creator, I wasn't sure from the instructions what
to choose in the pull down titled "Download Fedora".  I'm not sure that is
even required that you choose something there if you click on "Browse" and
use the SoaS beta .iso.

Questions:

1. Can I create the thumbdrive on an XP - not boot on the XP but directly
try to boot it on the Ubuntu Dell netbook?  I tried that and it will not
boot. (yes, I changed the boot sequence to boot on USB).

2. Do I have to create the thumbdrive on the Ubuntu netbook using the
instructions for Linux. I suck at Linux so I'm trying to avoid that as I'm
not sure it has all required packages and I'm trying not to mess with the
machine as it's not mine.

3. Has anyone else successfully gotten a thumbdrive to boot on this
particular Dell Inspiron 910 netbook running Ubuntu?

4. Should I try to create a bootable SD card instead?

Overall I have only two questions that have been answered but hasn't gotten
through my thick skull.

1. I realize that using Fedora 11 is part of SoaS-2 but is there an actual
different SoaS .iso in the making for version 2 or is simply using the
current beta of SoaS and loading it on Fedora 11 (using the Download Fedora
on the right side of the Live USB Creator) automatically making it a SoaS-2
version.

2. What are the various "Download Fedora" options?   What is an i686?  When
should the Sugar on a Stick option be used?  I think this is a case of too
many options and a newbie so sorry about that.

Sorry to be a bother and thanks for any help,

Kathy