[IAEP] Camp Kit

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sat Apr 11 18:20:23 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 01:42:04PM -0500, David Farning wrote:
>>I was thinking about putting together a 'Camp Kit' Consisting of a
>>wireless router, some cables, and a laptop to act as a proxy.
>>
>>With Bernie's help, for around $100 dollars, we can have a 'just
>>works' network where ever we go.  Without it, we might have a 'kind of
>>works half the time'  network.
>>
>>What else should the kit include?
>
> I would recommend to not buy a conventional computer but a WiFi router
> that supports flashing with an embedded Linux.
>
> I have good experience with the very cheap Linksys WRT54G2 running
> dd-wrt.  I would buy 2 of those, to have an extra as backup, and still
> be cheaper and more lightweight than blackbox router + conventional PC.
>
> Recently I discovered Buffalo WHR-G200N, which is just as cheap but more
> powerful hardware.  I have not played that much with that model yet so
> cannot say if it is as reliable as the Linksys one.
>

> Tell me if you want more details on my experiences with flashing those
> boxes.

The three problems that I have come across while attending events:

1.  XO and sugar cannot allways connect to all APs.  When we have a
room full of developers working on the .86 roadmap is not the best
time to debug connection issues.

I would like to be able to set up a known working access points.

2.  It seems that whenever a group of three or more developers gather.
 They need to start passing around iso files.

I would like to be able to set up a very simple file server.

3.  As a general rule most networks don't have the bandwidth to handle
a large group of hackers.

I would like to be able to set up a simple proxy

4. Yesterday, Walter and Caroline noticed that a room full of people
using Sugar's collaboration capabilities from a remote server on a
conference centers network suboptimal.

What would be the best way to set up a system like this?  As I go back
over the list, it like like I am asking for a School Server on
Steroids:)

david