[IAEP] Unified Objects (was Unified bundles)

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed Apr 8 14:57:48 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 02:01:58PM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> > certainly provide a future path for activity versioning, promote the
> > creation and modification of activities to be at the same level as
> > creating and modifying activity instances, allow users a way to
> > transfer their created activities around, etc.
>
> All of this, again, I see the current Journal handling just fine. If
> you modify an activity bundle, you (once we support it) create a new
> version of it. When you attempt to instantiate it, the bundle is
> silently unpacked in the background. The zipped bundle is what you see
> in the Journal, is what you click to start the activity, is what you'd
> want to send to a friend, or post for download, etc. All of these
> things are already facilitated by the Journal.
>
> The big missing piece, I find, is the lack of a Bundle activity which
> allows kids to peek inside and rearrange zip and other bundle formats.
> The Develop activity already supports opening activity bundles from
> the Journal.

Well we are talking about the same thing... but from the opposite sides :)

My concern is just eliminate conception of "Bundle in Journal" - we could
have only Activities - .xo bundles is only format to transport activities
between friends(I include ASLO to this number:), technically we could
store original bundles(but not showing them in Journal) to have "revert to
original" feature

--
Aleksey