[IAEP] Sugar Labs Budget.

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Apr 6 20:00:36 EDT 2009

Luke Faraone schrieb:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Christoph Derndorfer
> <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at <mailto:e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at>>
> wrote:
>
>     Mmm, personally I'd say that at least a third of Sugar Labs' budget
>     should go towards actual development.
>
>     All of that traveling and outreach becomes somewhat of a moot point
>     when the actual platform we're building a community around and
>     marketing doesn't work as advertised/expected.
>

> Paying developers who used to work pro bono can reduce total output,
> counterintuitively.
> See http://mako.cc/writing/funding_volunteers/funding_volunteers.html
> <http://mako.cc/writing/funding_volunteers/funding_volunteers.html>and http://wiki.mako.cc/Crowding_out.
> <http://wiki.mako.cc/Crowding_out>

Quote from
http://mako.cc/writing/funding_volunteers/funding_volunteers.html:

"Done critically, creatively, and transparently, voluntary free software
projects can use money and paid labor to a tremendous benefit that only
magnifies their accomplishments."

I personally think this is something that Sugar Labs should be aiming for.

Also I think it's important to realize there's a difference between
paying development and paying developers. As a Sugar user I don't
particularly care about who commits the code or writes the documentation
as long as the job of fixing bugs and improving and advancing the
platform gets done.

Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer