[IAEP] Sugar Labs Budget.

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Apr 6 19:33:00 EDT 2009

On 04/06/09 23:28, David Farning wrote:
> Last week, I set the rather abstract goal of raising $100,000US for
> Sugar Labs.  $100,000 seems like a reasonable number for a project in
> its second year.  Last year, Sugar Labs proved that it could get a
> surprisingly large amount of development accomplished with very little
> money.
>
> As for direct spending, I believe that Sugar Labs should focus it's
> resources entirely on community and ecosystem development.  A strong
> community and ecosystem means more Sugar related job!
>
> The primary method for us to strengthen the community is through
> travel stipends to enable contributors to meet face to face.
>
> The primary method for us to build the ecosystem is to send
> ambassadors, such as Walter, to meet with potential partners.  So far
> Walter has been covering his much of his own travel expenses:(
>
> The second method for building both the community and ecosystem is
> getting out the word through marketing.

So far, I totally agree with what you said.

> As a starting point I suggest that we spend approximately 70% on
> travel and 30% on marketing.

50% and 50% sounds more reasonable to me, considering that at some point
we'll want to reach out for a non geeky audience, too.

I'd be curious to see what the budget of the Mozilla foundation looks like.

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/