[IAEP] Testing SoaS at Waltham MA YMCA

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat Apr 4 18:27:47 EDT 2009

YMCA Computer Lab 4/4/09

The Waltham YMCA is a community center with a room with 10 computers pretty
much all different.  We have been invited to present Sugar at Healthy Kids
Day on April 18th.

I went today to test SoaS

Overall Results

Only one computer (#8) was able to run SoaS2

Three computers ran SoaS1 = #2, #3, #4,

No computers could connect to the internet or see any other Sugar machine.

Here are my notes. It worries me that we are giving out SoaS2 at FOSSVT yet
it seems to have a much higher failure rate. It would be good if we could
figure out some of these bugs.

Detailed Notes:

Starting to the left of the door ordering computers clockwise.

 Computer 1 – Does not stay on regardless of USB – Broken Computer.

 Computer 2 – F8 for setup then you can boot from USB.

SoaS2 Assuming Drive Cache write Through – No boot

SoaS1 – Boots

 Computer 3

Boots with CD helper on Soas2 but you can't see a curser for the mouse. I
can tell its there because I can get the frame to appear and disappear.

SoaS1 Boots and you can see the curser arrow

No internet access no one in neighborhood

Del allowed me to change bios to boot from USB. Booting SoaS1

 Computer 4

SoaS2 Assuming Drive Cache write Through – No boot

SoaS1 – Boots, no internet access, no one in neighborhood.

 Computer 5

Delete to enter setup.

SoaS1 create symlink error.

 Computer 6

Power button appears to be broken – Broken Computer

 Computer 7

Started to boot from USB SosS2

:: Denied BIOS AML access to invaldi pot 0x4d0+0x2

SoaS1 Gets to blue line then

EXT – Fs error device dm-0 ext3_journal_start_sb deteceted aborted journal –
inode 6609, block544159 and 54305

Remounting filesystem read-only

but does not boot

 Computer 8

Boots SoaS 2 from USB, no internet

Used Del then changed the order of the hard drives

Sound works

 Computer 9

Used Del then changed the order of the hard drives

SoaS2

:: Denied BIOS AML access to invaldi port 0x4d0+0x1 (PICO)

[sdb] Assuming drive cahce: write through

 SoaS1 – you must specify a file system type

 Computer 10

SoaS2 with Boot helper - Canot find root file system

Same error with SoaS1

--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove