[IAEP] What to call ASLO in the wiki? (was: IAEP Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9)

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Sat Apr 4 09:06:14 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 08:46:57AM -0400, Jeff Elkner wrote:
> +1 on calling it Sugar Activities Library.  As a local "Friend of the
> Library", I just can't imagine being a "Friend of the Portal" ;-)

I don't see how we can get clearer and simpler than "Sugar activities
web site".

I don't see the benefit in calling it either a library or a portal.
If I were describing it to a developer colleague, I'd say it was "a
web site where you can download more software".  If I were describing
it to my mother or similar non-technie person who nonetheless knew
what a computer was, I'd use exactly the same words.  To call it a
"library" or "portal" to the non-techie adds nothing but non-standard,
overloaded terms.  Libary means more than "collection of activities to
rate and download".  Portal means more than that, too.

If you think "addons" works a bit better: "Sugar add-ons web site",
well, that's another debate :).

> jeff elkner

Martin