[IAEP] Ready for prime time?

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Fri Apr 3 14:01:49 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> There will be a technology fair on April 25 at the Los Angeles Convention
> Center for LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District).  I have been asked
> to bring my Roadshow In A Box to demonstrate in the CUELA (Computer Using
> Educators of Los Angeles) booth.  I would love to also be able to show SoaS
> running on Macs and PCs. So, naturally I have a few questions.
> Will it be fairly stable?
> Can anyone download it? (All this talk of "branded sticks" makes me wonder)

Yes, Sugar will always be available for download by anyone for free.
The idea behind in open source branding is twofold:  Get the name 'out
there.'  We would like to make Sugar and Sugar Labs a household name.
That part is not subtle.

The second idea is a bit more subtle.  We want to ensure that that
Sugar and Sugar Labs are names that people trust.  I am not yet sure
how we will do this.  It might be through programs such as "Sugar
Certified Partners"

But, the basic software platform provided by Sugar, _must_ always
remain free according the GPL license.

Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License .
Do you think this warrants a better explanation on the wiki.

david