[IAEP] Collaboration support for people trying out SoaS esp for FossVT on April 10th.

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Wed Apr 1 09:46:34 EDT 2009

Current Situation:

1. Jabber.sugarlabs.org is down.
2. schoolserver.solutiongrove.com is up.
3. People trying out SoaS need to be able to try out collaboration features
4. Current SoaS images are preconfigured to connect to jabber.sugarlabs.org

Collaboration is not currently scalable to lots of users because:
1. The Jabber server eats memory as you add to the shared roaster
2. The neighborhood view will become too cluttered.
3. Other bugs appear to exist.
4. "lots of users" does not seem to clearly defined right now.

We have two, not necessarily mutually exclusive, ways to solving this
problem under development.

1. Have Moodle class membership control who you collaborate with.
2. Have Gadget control who you collaborate work randomly and by using your
friends list

Neither of these seem to have a proven implementation ready to go right now.

The good news is FOSSVT isn't all that big. They are expecting about 80
people. We don't know how good the Wifi will be but realistically we don't
expect that many people to be able to get on at once. Solution Grove can
also throw a whole bunch of RAM at the problem for April 10th.

So what I'd like to do is between now and April 10th:
1. Redirect jabber.sugarlabs.org to schoolserver.solutiongrove.com
2. Solution Grove will *not* try to get Gadget or Moodle to work between now
and April 10th, we'll focus on trying to get the known to work configuration
stable for April 10th.
3. Make a new DNS entry pointing to the sugarlabs server like
jabtest.sugarlabs.org so Sugar Labs people can keep working on Gadget
implementation.

Basically we need something that works now.  It seems to me that Gadget is
still in development and that Gadget development should not be on the same
jabber server that we are pointing our potential customers towards for demo
purposes.

This is temporary to get us though this period where people are demoing
SoaS.

Thoughts?

--
Caroline Meeks