[IAEP] wolfram's mathematica

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 20:18:45 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Ivan Krstić
<krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
>> There has been some interest expressed in building a mathematics
>> environment in Python...
>
> No need to build from scratch; it already exists:
>
>     <http://www.sagemath.org/>
>
> I spoke to one of the developers, who in turn spoke to the project
> lead. The consensus was that some optimization would have to be done
> to provide a good experience on the XO.

I see that it can use a Web browser as its front end, and run the
computation on a server. Can we try it out in Browse connected to an
XS? I don't have a current XO to try it on. I'm downloading both
source and binary now, and will test it in Firefox and Browse on
Ubuntu, and take a peek inside.

If this works, I challenge our content people to start prototyping a
math curriculum, and I challenge the masters of Etoys, Dr. Geo II, and
SageMath to see who can do the best version of each lesson.I'll get
some APLers in, and provide Ken Iverson's Arithmetic and Algebra
textbooks.

There are some dynamite examples on the SageMath site, such as a
slider to set how many terms of an infinite series for a function to
evaluate, with graphs of the target function and the current
approximation. I can already see how to use sliders to do knot
diagrams in the space of polynomials without repeated roots, or (at
the level of our primary schoolchildren) to create visualizations of
arithmetic with fractions.

> --
> Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still moving ahead in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children