[IAEP] Sugar Digest 2008-09-30

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 16:10:06 EDT 2008

Hi Walter et al,

On this:

 > So why doesn't someone set up a social-networking site?ideally
integrated with the popular tools such as Word Press?to enable
bloggers to find a willing peer to suggest revisions before the
publish button is pressed (a "Send to editor" button)? Such an
exchange need not be symmetric?some people prefer the role of critic
to creator; it would be a simple, powerful enhancement to the
blogsphere. (Or does such a site already exist?)

GS - That is essentially what EduBlog is designed to do for a chosen set
of reviewers (mostly teachers). In its current incarnation its designed
to run on a School Server (not the Internet), its hooked in to Moodle
and Blogger.com blogs only and the workflow is student <-> teacher only.
All of those things could be improved on in phase 2. EduBlog is
currently being tried out by some schools in Uruguay and we're working
on bringing new people in to the project (programmers, project managers
and users) before we pick the goals for phase 2.
For an EduBlog overview see:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Educational_Blogger_Project

If anyone wants to particpate in phase 2 or wants access to the system,
send me a note. I need to check with Pablo and the engineer team before
getting you a login but I think they will agree to broaden the trial,
epsecially if we get more volunteers to work on it.

On:
 > 1. Open Minds: David Farning and I had the opportunity to attend the
Open Minds conference in Indianapolis this past weekend. It was
refreshing to spend time with so many teachers passionate for learning
and creating opportunities for their students. I tried to tune into
dicsussions about the various roadblocks that inhibit the introduction
of technology into schools and into classrooms. The list is pretty
long and some of the items are formidable, but nonetheless, there are
obvious needs and teachers and administrators who are fighting for
change. There was lots of interest in Sugar?teachers and
administrators are looking for an easy (and inexpensive) way to try it
in their classrooms.

GS - Can list a handful of main issues which are "roadblocks"?

Thanks,

Greg S