[IAEP] Venezuela orders 1 million laptops from Portugal

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 15:54:15 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 29.09.2008 um 11:51 schrieb Morgan Collett:
>>
>>> http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/09/27/europe/EU-Portugal-Venezuela.php
>>>
>>> "The blue-and-white laptops — based on Intel Corp.'s Classmate PC
>>> design — are manufactured under license in Portugal and are primarily
>>> aimed at schoolchildren in developing countries."
>>
>> No word on software - does anyone know more?
>
> I read somewhere that they will ship with a linux flavor developed in portugal:
>
> http://www.caixamagica.pt/pag/a_index.php

Not very informative to techies.

> It's based in Mandriva, maybe we can make sure Sugar is there?

A little more information.
http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=caixamagica&month=all&year=all

kernel 2.6.22

Originally based on SUSE, now on Mandriva.

Has anybody tried running the Fedora Sugar packages on Mandriva?

Do we need a distro lab where we can run lots of VMs at once?

> Regards,
>
> Tomeu

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still moving ahead in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children