[IAEP] Teacher in OLPC-Sur list enchanted to see his idea integrated, into global Sugar update [First approach] (luis ACEVEDO)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 03:57:45 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are still a few loose ends to tie with the Turtle Art
> modification. I am trying to make it into somewhat of a case study
> that can be hopefully a catalyst not just to rote imitation but also
> to some deductive or model-based thinking about thinking. Also, the
> exercise has raised a few questions for me about our process that I
> hope to address/document.
>
> I realize that teachers don't have time to be developers, but I aspire
> that everyone will move towards all kinds of appropriation.

I'm looking forward to the day when our graduates start to take over
the teachers' colleges, and all of the teachers who have been
programming since third grade or so get together to share the
development of new interactive textbooks based on software that is
built for children to modify.

> Alas, I wish that OLPC had included the chapter on Modifying Sugar in
> their Help activity...

Second the motion.

> -walter
>
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:10 PM, luis ACEVEDO
> <patitoacevedo at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Greg:
>>
>>          TurtleArt-11.xo  worked perfectly. My report with  teacher´s
>> comment, screenshoots, and pedagogical support (only in spanish) here:
>>
>> http://patricioacevedo.blogspot.com/2008/09/mi-reporte-para-sugar-labs.html
>>
>>        I want to try this features:
>>     1.- A Beep function in  TurtleArtwithsensors.
>>     2.- A easy way for to write "Hello word". I received a report about
>> uruguayan´s kids  writing  letters  with  the turtle´s lines, but this way
>> is slow and not fun.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Pato Acevedo
>>
>> www.patricioacevedo.blogspot.com
>>> Hi Luis,
>>>
>>> I believe that Walter updated TurtleArt with a square root function to
>>> address this.
>>>
>>> Was that a satisfactory response? Let us know how that worked for you
>>> and the people who requested it. Any comments or input appreciated.
>>>
>>> What else do teachers and users need? Let's see if we can address some
>>> more requests and start to improve the quality of the dialog at the same
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Walter,
>>>
>>> Essentially the same questions for you. Did that go the way you wanted?
>>> I get the impression you wanted teachers to modify the code themselves.
>>> Maybe you can elaborate on that. Perhaps you could have asked if anyone
>>> wanted to learn how to do it.
>>>
>>> In the cycle of praxis, there's the action and the reflection. If we're
>>> done with the action on this one (still want to hear the final ack) then
>>> a little reflection may be in order until we pick the next small
>>> challenge.
>>>
>>> At the same time we can think about what tools work best to address
>>> these in the future. I didn't see the bug ID come through dev.laptop.org
>>> but I may have missed it. I assume IRC didn't work for Luis either...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Greg S

> Walter Bender
> Sugar Labs
> http://www.sugarlabs.org

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still ahead in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children