[IAEP] Teacher in Uruguay enchanted to see his ideas integrated, into global Sugar update

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 17:10:40 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Eben,
>
> Thanks for your constructive comments!
>
> I'll work with Seth and anyone else to better coordinated a "heap" of
> aggregated input without regard to release timing. That's a good point.
>
> One last thing:
> When I edited the roadmap page, I didn't mean to call anything "unwanted".

Yup, I didn't mean to sound defensive.  I'm sure those pages and goals
will be shuffled more than once before they settle.  It's silly,
really, that our system focused so deeply on collaboration doesn't
have any basic way to get file X from person A to person B, but that's
not even the first thing on my list, anyway. :)  Hopefully it will
come about soon, in some fashion; an activity might even be a good
solution (though I suggest that we give thought to the benefits we can
bring to a sharing activity over direct transfers...I'd wager there
are strong use cases for both types.)

In another sense, it almost sounds like a synonym for the "Bulletin
Board" activity, which could be shared with any scope and then used to
drag anything else into (post onto) for others to look at, download
etc.  In fact, maybe that's just the thing we need, and we should take
advantage of its position as an activity to make it discoverable (that
is, rather than saying "send thing X from me to person B", we can say
"make things X, Y, and Z available to anyone in set S", where S could
be private invitees, or the whole public (and later, groups, such as
"the class"!)).  We could also integrate basic discussion into the
space, or create a way for people who look at the bboard to post
comments around the items posted there.

Thoughts?

- Eben

> They just need a home with a goal or motivation. I think copy from XO to XO
> would fall in the collaboration bucket. I didn't see it at the top level but
> I haven't had a chance to read all the sub-tending pages.

I think collaboration is still a pretty big goal, but more on the
front of scalability and robustness than on new collaborative features
(like object transfer, and groups).  My big hope for collaboration,
from a feature perspective, is to improve the sharing mechanism so its
more discoverable and more natural to use.

> Feel free to move them around, add more motivation or comments, and change
> or add to the goals as you see fit.

Thanks, I just might. I'm known for stirring things up, from time to time. =)

- Eben