[IAEP] Sad

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Sep 17 06:14:16 EDT 2008

Am 17.09.2008 um 10:19 schrieb Albert Cahalan:

> Microsoft probably deserves to win. :-(
> [...]
> It's really offensive to insist that other people (children,
> the poor, dark-colored people, them foreigners...) be forced
> to use stuff which you yourself find to be inadequate for
> your own daily (exclusive) use.

By that measure OLPC should ship Windows, which is used daily
(exclusively) by 90% of all computer users.

> A truly amazing opportunity (Linux-only laptops for kids)
> has been squandered.

It's An Education Project - not a "Linux-only laptops" project.

Sugar exists because we think a GNOME desktop is *not* fundamentally
better for learning than a Windows desktop (or any existing desktop
for that matter). But Sugar is based on GNU/Linux because we think
that FOSS is fundamentally better for learning than closed software.
And Sugar is largely built in Python because we think that is
fundamentally better for learning than C.

- Bert -