[IAEP] Sad

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 14:24:01 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> 2008/9/16 José Antonio Rocha <joseantoniorocha at gmail.com>:
>> Don't worry about that. Windows is a dead-SO-walking.
>
> Don't think we worry much about Windows around here ;)
>
> I think the main concern (and perhaps MS' main interest in all this)
> is that Sugar is seen as losing its supporters.
>
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:02 AM, Martin Sevior <msevior at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So the point is that there is a strong counter-story about sugar-labs
> and the current shipments. We need to make sure that story gets out
> too.
>
> What kind of counter-story could be seen by "journals" as equally compelling?

OLPC has pushed Microsoft into doing what it has sedulously avoided
for many years: setting up a head-to-head comparison of Linux and
Windows on the same hardware by the same people in large numbers, very
few of whom are paid by Microsoft. The children, in particular, don't
care *who* you are, and will use the software that works for what they
want to do. We will hear from parents, teachers, and the rest of
society as well.

In addition, all of these people get to compare Sugar with the Windows
crippleware application suite for the XO, and the 25,000+ Free
Software packages for Linux with the high costs and almost total lack
of freedom in the proprietary market.

This is a story that will run for years, with new results appearing
constantly from dozens of countries as the curriculum and textbooks
are converted to use collaborative software and Free licensing of one
kind or another. In addition, it will lead to a multitude of stories
about governments considering and then adopting Free Software for
other purposes, the growth of markets for Linux and dual-boot
computers, the beginnings of a software industry in a number of
countries and its subsequent expansion, and lots more.

That's even before we get to what jobs our graduating students can
get, what businesses they can start, and what the social and political
effects of an educated population turn out to be.

Enjoy.

> Regards,
>
> Tomeu

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still ahead in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children