[IAEP] The Sugar Labs Events Committee

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Sep 6 08:41:18 EDT 2008

Greg Dekoenigsberg schrieb:
> So the Sugar Labs oversight board had its first meeting today, and I was
> appointed chair of the Events Committee.  Hurrah for events!
>
> What does the events Events Committee do, exactly?  A fine question.  My
> basic answer:
>
> The Events Committee figures out how to hold impactful events.  Bringing
> together members of the Sugar community to accomplish things.  Finding
> money for such events.  Other such tasks.
>
>>From my perspective, as an organizer of many FUDCons and other events...
> events are the *lifeblood* of any community.  Knowing people on IRC is one
> thing, but sharing beer and embarrassing stories together builds lasting
> friendships.

Great, I couldn't think of a better person to run with this!

With regards to the SkoleLinux meeting in Oslo that dfarning forwarded
earlier today I'm thinking that it would make sense to come up with a
list of events in the next 6 months that Sugar Labs might want to attend.

Also we should be broadening our focus to attend relevant educational /
  computers in education events, conferences, symposiums, etc., because
that's were we really need to be!

Apart from that it might make sense to restart the discussion about
having a separate event such as an OLPC / Sugar grassroots conference,
something that SJ, Greg, Aaron, Tano, Matt Kellers and others have been
discussing on and off for the past 9 months or so.

Off to look for an ice cream store here in Brno,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer
co-editor, olpcnews