[IAEP] Membership issues

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 18:55:32 EDT 2008

Please add your thoughts on members' rights and duties. Showing up at
meetings, in person or online? Voting? If so, on what? Who qualifies
for a title and an e-mail address? Discounts on anything of interest,
such as Sugar Labs events? A t-shirt?

How do you propose to choose among these possibilities for a
structure, or any others that may be proposed?

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 3:25 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> When setting up the membership structure for Sugar Labs we have several
> issues to consider. Below is a brief analysis of those issues and how
> they relate to sugar Labs. Feed back on issues I have missed or
> misunderstood is appreciated. Monday I will post an initial Membership
> document to the wiki and this list for more review
>

> Principles of Membership
>

> One way to define the 'spirit' of membership is to explicitly define
> membership principles.
>
> Open – Sugar Labs is open to all; Sugar Labs provides the same
> opportunity to all. Everyone participates with the same rules; there are
> no rules to exclude any potential contributors which include, of course,
> direct competitors in the marketplace.
>
> Transparent - Project discussions, minutes, deliberations, project
> plans, plans for new features, and other artifacts are open, public, and
> easily accessible.
>
> Meritocracy – Sugar Labs is a meritocracy. The more you contribute the
> more responsibility you will earn. Leadership roles in Sugar Labs are
> also merit-based and earned by peer acclaim.
>

> Purposes of membership
>

> Keeping track of membership will be costly. There is the initial setup
> costs and the ongoing maintenance cost of keeping the membership roles
> up to date. These cost must be out weighed by the benefits of
> Governance, Recognition of Merit, Fund Raising, and Defense.
>

> Governance. - On the first level a membership body give Sugar Labs the
> ability govern itself. Member will be able to vote directly on issues.
> Members will be able to vote for elected representatives. Member will be
> able to call referendums.
>

> Recognition of Merit – Individual membership in will be a sign of Merit.
> Membership, responsibility, and authority will reflect the value of an
> individuals contributions.
>

> Fund Raising - Organizational membership will indicate levels of support
> Sugar Labs receives from outside entities. Support can include cash,
> engineering resources, event and travel sponsorship.
>

> Defensive – Broad definitions of membership will help prevent the Sugar
> Labs foundation from being hijacked by a hostile entity.
>

> Membership types
>

> Individual – Most projects have a category for individual membership.
> Membership is earned through quality of work.
>

> Organizational – Some projects have categories for organizational
> memberships. The fee structure for Organization membership can vary
> based on the size of the organization and the degree of influence the
> organization has over the Project.
>

> Membership Documents
>

> In order to keep track of members and their contributions we will need a
> basic set of documents.
>

> Application – The membership application will ensure that Sugar Labs has
> at a minimum the real name and contact information for members.
>
> Code of Conduct – The code of conduct will establish a set of principles
> [...]

Silent Thunder [ 默雷 / शब्दगर्ज / شبدگر ج ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The Six Worlds are my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.