[IAEP] Jabber Server

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 17:39:00 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:19 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2008, at 12:52 AM, Gary C Martin wrote:
>
>> On 2 Oct 2008, at 05:06, David Farning wrote:
>>
>>> I had several conversation last weekend about how to help foster
>>> small deployments.   The overarching theme was that communities need
>>> a mechanism to communicate and collaborate while they learn about
>>> this 'Sugar stuff'.
>>>
>>> After much thought about web2.0 and social medial tools, I finally
>>> got back to--why don't we use the collaborative tools in sugar to
>>> help groups learn about Sugar.
>>>
>>> Would it be feasible for Sugar Labs to set up jabber servers so that
>>> individual deployments have a zero cost mechanism to collaborate
>>> among themselves.  If I remember, this was an issue that Bill Kerr
>>> faced in his lab.
>>
>> Oh yes, please!!! That goes for the community of Sugar testers too,
>> it's been an absolute <insert your favourite noun profanity> trying to
>> find working jabberd servers to smoke test activity sharing et al. And
>> my goodness do we need more testing there...
>
> I'm sorry.  Try schoolserver.media.mit.edu or schoolserver.laptop.org.
> These have been running for a year.

Is http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_Jabber_Servers usable? That is,
does anybody keep the information up-to-date? Can we do something to
fold in the information at xochat.org? Could a daemon maintain this
page?

server name 	 community 	 comments
jabber.laptop.org 	all 	Jabber server for OLPC
chi.il.us.xochat.org 	Chicago, IL (any)
jabber.buddycloud.com 	Open to all 	Jabber server including location
based API (http://blog.buddycloud.com/node/1)
jabber.olpchacks.org 	Chicago, IL (any) 	OLPC Chicago Jabber Server
jabber.xo-quebec.org 	Montreal, Qc (any) 	Québec Area Jabber Server(fr)
potter-pod.no-ip.biz 	Richmond, VA. (any)
schoolserver.media.mit.edu 	developers 	Jabber server for OLPC/Sugar developers
xo1share.org 	G1G1 (any) Focus: Great Lakes Region.	xo1 at scishare.com
(Location: Grand Blanc, Michigan) Status: http://xoshare.org/mi
xochat.org 	G1G1 (any) 	See xochat.org Community Server for more info
and regional jabber servers.
And Children are my nation.