[IAEP] Events calendar

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 04:19:16 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>
>> What sorts of events would people like to see? SCALE (Southern
>> California Linux Expo)? Linux World Expo/Open Source Expo? PyCon?
>> Education conferences? Bioneers? Solfest? ICT4D? Microfinance?
>> embedded systems? or should we consider splitting the calendar (yet)?
>> We could have one for events dealing with hardware, software, content,
>> and deployment issues (whatever OLPC and Sugar Labs consider to be
>> in-scope) and one for everything else related (sustainability,
>> greenness, health outside of health education, whatever). If so, Earth
>> Treasury dibs the second one, but I would like to have them use the
>> same software and reside in the same place, to simplify cross-linking
>> and other forms of coordination.
>
> My $0.02:
>
> The only event that matters is an event where someone from Sugar Labs
> (broadly defined) will be present, and is willing to take ownership of
> representing Sugar Labs at the event.
>
> For example: SCALE is a great event.  Perfect for recruiting folks to the
> Sugar mission, showing off the latest Sugar goodness, holding a BoF,
> hacking, whatever.  But if no one from Sugar Labs shows up, that event may
> as well not even exist.
>
> I don't want to cross-link a million events.  I want to know where Our
> People will be.  There's a gigantic and vitally important difference.
>
> --g

I mentioned SCALE, Linux World Expo, PyCon and the rest specifically
because I was there showing laptops and organizing other activities.

My point is to offer to say where our people _should_ be, and to see
about getting them there. That's another gigantic and vitally
important difference.
--
Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज ) is my name
And Children are my nation.