[IAEP] Thought for the day

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 16:22:32 EDT 2008

Men fear thought more than they fear anything else on earth -- more
than ruin, more even than death. Thought is subversive and
revolutionary, destructive and terrible; thought is merciless to
privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habits; thought
is anarchic and lawless, indifferent to authority, careless of the
well-tried wisdom of the ages ... But if thought is to become the
possession of many, not the privilege of the few, we must have done
with fear. It is fear that holds men back -- fear lest their cherished
beliefs should prove delusions, fear lest the institutions by which
they live should prove harmful, fear lest they themselves should prove
less worthy of respect than they have supposed themselves to be.

-Bertrand Russell

--
Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज ) is my name
And Children are my nation.