[IAEP] is this useful feedback?

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 08:15:59 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Bill Kerr <billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net>
> wrote:

> >> I think it's useful in itself, but there needs to happen quite a bit
> >> of work before it can be consumed by developers. I guess someone that
> >> knows the context in which those comments are made could translate
> >> them to more universally understandable statements, and then someone
> >> else could aggregate those with other feedback and produce some
> >> summary from all of that.

> of
> the

> >> I'm not sure that's the best POV for useful feedback. I cannot think
> >> myself of any features of Sugar that are specially targeted to people
> >> in developing countries and I for one would like to see Sugar evolve
> >> in an useful platform for all people independently of their age.
> >>
> >> If kids are complaining so much about the Sugar Shell means that they
> >> are "seeing" it too much. Most of the important stuff should happen
> >> inside activities, not in the Shell. My reaction to that feedback is
> >> that Sugar should dissolve itself better into the set of installed
> >> activities (by improving performance, for example) and that activities
> >> should address better the kids' interests (so they don't need to
> >> change the shell icons to get some fun).

> the

> http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/06/mark-shuttleworths-ubuntu-manifesto.html
> >>
> >> My suspect is that conventional desktops have a big dissonance with
> >> non-office usage, so people spend more time that they would like to in
> >> the "OS". Because of that, the desktop GUI is important for them and
> >> they want it to be pretty. If we reduced the components that the user
> >> needs to interact with, those eliminated components don't need to be
> >> pretty any more. If we reduce the time that the user needs to spend on
> >> the rest of the desktop, the importance of their "beauty" is also
> >> reduced.
> >>
> >> Not saying that Mark is wrong nor that Sugar should be ugly, just that
> >> when we hear that some part of the Sugar shell needs to look nicer or
> >> be more like traditional desktops, we may want to reflect why is the
> >> shell taking so much of the user attention and if this isn't an
> >> opportunity to streamline the experience and take ourselves out of the
> >> way.
> >
> > thanks for comment, Tomeu. I've put it up on the wiki and will attempt to
> > discuss these issues with the students when we go back to school
> tomorrow.
> > (we will have to get our minds back out of holiday mode first, however)
> > http://xo-whs.wikispaces.com/Sugar+UI
> >
> > one thing I have noticed with students who use linux (only a handful at
> my
> > school) is that they like the ubuntu rotating cube, they see that as new
> and
> > "cool"

> [...]

I like walter's suggestions on this page:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/Sugar/ModifyingSugar

tweaking the interface as an option - for both empowerment and skill
building

I'll give it a go but fear that most students won't have the patience or
carefulness to hack the python code successfully, a few will give it a shot
but many will be easily discouraged
(trying to think of a way to make it a bit more accessible to more)