[IAEP] [sugar] Narrative.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 21:09:27 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
>> What if Activity and Content bundles were one and the same. You could
>> have bundles that just hold an Activity to install, or just have
>> Content for the library, or more interestingly have it hold both an
>> Activity and library Content.
>
> There exist CLI scripts (e.g., sugar-install-bundle) that handle
> Activity bundles (which install Activities), but currently support
> for Content bundles (which install Collections) is thin.
>
> What I wish for is that Content bundles were not second-class
> citizens.  The entire Home View is devoted to presenting Activities
> for launching (or deletion).  But Collections currently are
> presented only within the left-hand panel in Browse.  To be viewed,
> they have to be "downloaded" by Browse to Journal, and then manually
> "launched" (from Journal).  [Deleting of Collections from the panel
> shown by Browse is done only with manually issued CLI commands.]
>
> Activities are "verbs".  Collections are "nouns".  Sugar should make
> the getting_to/using of "nouns" as easy as that of "verbs".

So Browse has the unnamed function of turning nouns into verbs then?
Well, I suppose we could talk about the infinitive, as in _to_ Google.
The reverse of the gerund -ing that turns verbs into nouns.

We get this in some languages constructed for greater grammatical
generality, including Lojban and the later transformations of APL,
such as APL2, SAX APL, and J. Variable-->Noun; Function-->Verb;
Operator-->Adverb, and so on.

> mikus

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still moving ahead in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children