[IAEP] Narrative.

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 21:02:34 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Here's a short dialogue between myself, Ben Schwartz, Martin Dengler,
> and Bobby Powers on my interpretation of "narrative" as it might apply
> to a user interface designed for "engaging children in the world of
> learning":
>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mstone/Commentaries/Sugar_2
>
> === Highlights
>
> * By "narrative", I mean "a rational sequence (or graph) of events".
> * It's rather hard to use XOs to prepare direct lessons. By "direct
>  lesson", I mean a guided learning experience, usable in variable
>  network conditions, which minimizes the amount of decision-making and
>  navigation that the end-user needs to perform in order to experience
>  'the whole thing' regardless of what software implements each
>  individual experience contained in the lesson.
>
> === Toy Problem
>
> Concretely, suppose I invent a new Python trick like the ones at
>
>  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mstone/Tricks
>
> How might a prepare a slick explanation for an inexperienced user?
>
> * I might write up a web page for my trick, then write a Pippy bundle
>  showing off the trick in a toy program, then give a pointer to a git
>  repo containing an instance of the trick in 'production'.
>
>  Question: How do I write web pages on an XO?  Question: Do I have to be
> able to read in order to find and run the
>            Pippy bundle?
>
> * I might write up a larger Pippy example for my trick in the literate
>  style. I might also create a puzzle revolving around integrating the
>  trick into some sample code. I might include links to 'advanced
>  reading' or more examples in comments in the source code.
>
>  Question: Pippy doesn't know anything about hyperlinks. Will my
>            readers?
>  Question: I must either comment out my puzzle so that the example can
>            run or I must provide it in a separate bundle. How many
>            users would figure out how to try both the example and the
>            puzzle?
>
> * While not obviously applicable to this specific example, two other
>  common solutions to this sort of problem include the "scripted
>  transitions between freeform experiences" idea common to wizards and
>  role-playing games and the 'build a custom but user-editable program'
>  idea underlying most EToys lessons.
>
> === Larger Concerns
>
> Since Sugar is strongly concerned with UI unification, it's worth
> spending more time thinking about how well each of the solutions to your
> favorite toy problem integrates with encompassing narratives of
> reflection, criticism, and human collaboration. (None of the solutions
> I've proposed above satisfy me in any of these regards.)
>

> In any case, I hope this followup helps explain the motivation and
> 'line-of-thought' behind my initial email. Please discuss.

hi michael,

I don't know the answer but think it's a good question, which has now been
somewhat clarified

"narrative" is a big suitcase word (roger schank comes to mind, his book
"tell me a story") - I would think of your idea as something like "sequenced
instruction" because you are linking "a rational sequence (or graph) of
events" to the preparation of direct lessons or "a guided learning
experience"

What Bryan says in his article is a pragmatic approach to what many teachers
request (more sequence and structure, a structured curriculum). The comments
to his article by John Maxwell and Yoshiki point out that the comparison
with alan kay's dynabook idea is not very accurate.

It's a  big topic - an important topic but I'd say the language being used
here is not accurate and might have created some initial confusion.

I'm not qualified to talk about the software changes you are suggesting -
don't know enough python