[IAEP] Fwd: [BDPA-Africa] IBM Hosts Innovation Forum in Africa

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 20:40:15 EDT 2008

Mmm. Money.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chifu <chifu2222 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 3:35 AM
Subject: [BDPA-Africa] IBM Hosts Innovation Forum in Africa
To: bdpa-africa at yahoogroups.com, chifu at googlegroups.com

IBM Hosts Innovation Forum to Tackle Skills, Education, Green Issues
With Africa's Thought Leaders

JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 10/09/08

Building on significant progress with its growing partner and client
base in sub-Saharan Africa, IBM (NYSE: IBM) today will host an
innovation forum in Johannesburg to discuss both progress made during
the past year and what lies ahead. Today's forum brings together
leaders from government, academia and businesses to spark new
initiatives that advance Africa's position in the global economy.

Just under a year ago, IBM announced a $120 million investment in sub-
Saharan Africa to accelerate the development of new markets, foster
the growth of skilled IT professionals and create new jobs. Today,
the company continues the dialogue, reinforcing its focus on world
growth markets and collaborative approach to innovation.

The forum will highlight progress on programs kicked off in 2007,
including:

the donation of a Blue Gene supercomputer to the Meraka Institute

the creation of a mentoring program, Makocha Minds

a partnership with CARE on a microfinance grid

the launch of the IBM Africa Innovation Center

the launch of Africa's first Cloud Computing Center

The discussions today will also include new focus areas for
collaboration including alternative energy solutions, banking the
unbanked, and the role of women entrepreneurs in shaping Africa's
future.

"We've made tremendous progress with our partners in Africa over the
past year, and will continue to build on that momentum as we grow
existing programs and implement new ones," said Bruno Di Leo, general
manager, IBM Growth Markets. "An information technology
infrastructure and a sound educational system are crucial as African
business organizations look to compete globally. IBM is committed to
playing an important role in providing the latest technology and
expertise and in the development of skills across the continent of
Africa, and in emerging markets around the world."

Today's forum is part of IBM's Global Innovation Outlook (GIO). Every
year, IBM joins together with leaders from business, academia, and
politics from around the world to create new opportunities for
business and society. This program -- the GIO -- has focused on
topics ranging from energy and the environment to transportation and
mobility to security and society. In 2007, the GIO also focused on
sustainable long-term economic development in Africa.

"Sub-Saharan Africa is a key focus of our growth strategy and we are
rallying resources to ensure that we expand our reach to participate
in the continent's economic transformation into global
competitiveness," said Mark Harris, general manager, IBM sub-Saharan
Africa.

IBM also recently invested in a strategic IT services delivery
capability infrastructure that includes its Johannesburg-based
Integrated Delivery Center, which has created 1,500 new jobs to date,
and the Business Continuity and Recovery Services facility.

These investments are aligned with IBM's globally integrated
enterprise model, which leverages the skills and strengths of
different world markets to deliver quality services to its clients,
wherever they may be.

Contacts:

Nathi Sukazi
Cellphone: +27 82 565 0205
Telephone: +27 11 302 9442
Email: NATHIS at ...

Jenny Hunter
IBM
jennyh at ...
510-919-5320 M

--- End forwarded message ---

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   mailto:BDPA-Africa-digest at yahoogroups.com
   mailto:BDPA-Africa-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com

   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

--
Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still moving ahead in EC!