[IAEP] Venezuela orders 1 million laptops from Portugal

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 16:37:42 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Eduardo H. Silva <hoboprimate at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, Eduardo.
> 2008/10/7 Paulo Trezentos <Paulo.Trezentos at caixamagica.pt>:
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> My name is Paulo Trezentos.
>> I'm technical director of Caixa Mágica.

Bemvenido!

(Well, that's nearly it for my Portuguese, except for some old Bossa
Nova songs. Sorry.)

>> Can you please give me more information about yourselves and the idea?

I don't know how much background information you have, but it's all in
the Wiki http://wiki.laptop.org/ if you need more than I have room to
tell you about. Some people find my video on Expanding the Vision of
OLPC helpful. You can get to it from my page,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Mokurai.

We are out to save the world through education on computers, leading
to the end of poverty and some other consequences of general interest.
Peru and Uruguay have ordered OLPC XO laptops for all of their
schooldchildren, and we have smaller deployments and trials in dozens
of other countries. See, for example,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:OLPC_Brazil. Our Sugar software for
Linux is being localized into both português and português do Brasil,
along with 80 or so other languages.

Venezuela has ordered a million laptops for schoolchildren, using your
Caixa Mágica Linux. We would like to put our Sugar education software
on CM and thus on those laptops. We have RPMs of many of our
Activities that were developed for Fedora Linux, and we have started a
discussion with Mandriva about getting those RPMs into their
distribution. So everything is lined up, and now we want to talk with
you about getting our packages into your distribution, and get our
volunteers and staff working with your volunteers and staff.

You should get acquainted with Walter Bender, head of Sugar Labs, and
also David Farning; Jim Gettys, Scott Ananian, S. J. Klein, and others
in software at OLPC; Ivan Krstić, our security maven; and others whom
they can introduce you to.

What else do you need to know?
--
Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज ) is my name
And children are my nation.